Tuesday, October 23, 2007

She's Official

Here in Hong Kong no one asks you at the hospital what your baby's name is; all the naming takes place two weeks to 42 days after birth at the "Birth, Death, and Marriage Registration" building in downtown HK. So, today, I left the shmoo with Marge and Norm and went downtown to offical name our daughter and pick up her birth certificate. I think it's very strange to name someone. It felt so weird to just write her name on a piece of paper and, voila, that's now how she'll be known for the rest of her life. I hope she likes it. Here's a pic of the birth certificate - How many people can say they have a Hong Kong birth certificate? (Aside from the 8 million people who live here). She'll be quite the show off in kindergarden back home!

Some of you may be wondering where we got the middle name Gladys. Well, Gladys is my grandmother (my mom's mom) and she is one of the greatest people I have ever come across in my life. For the past two years she has been going through cancer treatment, and she and my grandfather have shown our family what true love and strength really are. My grandma Gladys is a someone I admire so much. She has a fantastic sense of humor, a unbreakable faith, and so much love to give. She also has a bit of a stubborn streak, so when Lucy was nearly two weeks late and showing a bit of a stubborn streak of her own, that sealed the deal that her middle name would be Gladys. If Lucy ends up with just a bit of her great grandma Gladys in her, she'll be one lucky lady and ready to take the world by storm.
Today Lucy and I spent nearly an hour hanging out on my bed while I sang her songs. Pete made a "Lucy's List" on iTunes, lots of classic rock with a few sentimental songs mixed in. It was a fun way to spend the morning. Here's how she looked from my point of view.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more about Grandma... she is the best! Congrats to Lucy on getting her name... give her a kiss for me. That is pretty exciting stuff! I love the pics, T. She is so incredibly beautiful! Love you so, so much. Katy

Anonymous said...

She IS a shmooo for sure!! And lucky to share the name with such a wonderful lady.

Ali and Andy said...

Hi Trac! So great to talk to you last night! I think I see a bit of Auntie Syd in that first picture... :) Just darling. Counting the days until Christmas...
LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a cutie...I definitely see you, Trac, in the second picture! Speaking of Hong Kong birth certificates (as I often do), a girl that I grew up with was born in H.K. and I always thought that was the coolest thing, especially in the 1st grade. I do remember, however, being confused by the fact that she wasn't Chinese :)

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

I just love the posts; you are doing an amazing job of keeping all of your admiring fans abreast of the latest photos and news. Lucy is just beautiful, and you and Pete seem about to burst from happiness. It is a true heart-warmer. love and hugs from across the south China Sea, Kristine

Anonymous said...

Hi T, P, & lil L! I love all of the pictures. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I just want to hold her! Counting the days until you guys are home. I love you SOOOOOO much. You are in my thoughts all the time! Love, Syd