Saturday, December 09, 2006



One of my students wrote about this painting in her personal statement required for her college application. When reminded of this painting, I couldn't help but think of how wonderfully it fits my current state of mind. Actually, I kind of enjoy being busy right now, however. First of all, it helps to keep my mind off the fact that we are so close to going home. If left to my own devices, I would sit around and countdown the seconds until take off. Secondly, there is a piece of me (a somewhat small piece) that likes being busy around Christmas because it makes the stress-relief of break feel so much better. We'll see how I feel about that last comment when anxious students deliver 722 college applications to me on Tuesday. :)

On another note, this is also the time for students who applied Early Decision to hear their fate. This is so bittersweet for me. When you work so closely and intensely with these students, you begin to think of them as if they were your own kids. So right now, I have 36 children waiting to hear whether or not they were accepted to the university of their dreams. One second I have a student running in crying "happy tears", as Lorissa would say; the next there is another student whose tears aren't so happy. It's a roller coaster, I tell ya! Today I heard from three students: One acceptance to Vassar, two were deferred to regular decision at Amherst and Dartmouth. No denials yet, so that's something to be thankful for. Speaking of Vassar, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love this school. Our unborn children are going there whether they like it or not. The admissions officer there is absolutely my favorite to work with - he just seems to care so much about the kids.

Anyway, after spending my Saturday at school, I am now home sitting in front of the fire with Christmas lights aglow around me. It's a warm fuzzy feeling that makes me forget about all the stress - I love it. Pete is doing some schoolwork right now, but when he's finished maybe he'll come and cuddle on the couch with me and my warm fuzzy feeling will be complete.

13 more get ups!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm sure you meant to say that if your unborn children aren't accepted to WSU then they'll go to Vassar. Right?? ;)

Anonymous said...

Whoops...that was from me.

Jamie