Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Lesbos, Greece

Hello everyone! I really wish I could put pictures up here - it's so bland without them. Maybe I'll do some research at the next internet cafe.
Let's see ... where did I leave off ... Let's start with Turkey. Here are the highlights: Pete and I spent a day in Bergama, exploring the ruins there. We even ate the lunch we brought under one of the columns at the Acropolis. That was super fun. After that, we explored the Red Church, which is one of the churches mentioned in the book of Revelations. That was pretty cool, I have to admit. It's hard to believe it has been there since biblical times.
One of the main highlights in Turkey was getting invited to a "Circumcision Party" in the village we were staying in. Apparently, in Turkey boys aren't circumcised until they are about 8 years old. It's a rite of passage there, so the celebration is huge! They played music, danced, and served great food. The boy dresses up in a hat and cape, and everyone pins money on him. The little boy was bawling his head off though - no wonder!
After leaving the village, we spent the night in Ayvalik, then took a ferry to Lesbos. In Lesbos, we have basically just relaxed. We dropped our laundry off yesterday morning and then spent the day at the beach. It was great. Today we plan on exploring the city, then tomorrow morning we will take the early ferry to Mikinos.
I hope everyone is well! We love and miss you!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Sweet, we were planning on having a circumcision party for Ty in a few year. Maybe you could help with planning since you first hand experience.


(for those frightened...he's been snipped.)