Sunday, May 17, 2009

Big News and a Pretty Nice Little Saturday

Saturday was quite an eventful day here in Hong Kong. It all started with a phone call from a principal offering positions to BOTH Pete and I! We will be working at Marist High School, a private Catholic high school in Eugene, Oregon. Yes, you read correctly ... Eugene. After much debate and discussion, we decided that in this economy we couldn't say "No" to two jobs. Although Eugene isn't Portland, it is just a two-hour highway drive and much, much, MUCH better that the 13-hour flight and 15-hour time difference that is China. I am sure we will be in Portland and Seattle as much as we can, and everyone is welcome to come visit us as well! To answer a question that I know is in some of your minds ... NO, we will NOT become Duck fans! That was established right away. We will, however, go to football games sporting Coug and Husky gear and accept whatever boos come our way. Pete will be teaching World History and I will be head of the Counseling Department, which has a strong focus on college counseling. Really, aside its location, the school and our jobs are exactly what we were looking for. We feel very blessed to get these jobs before even leaving Hong Kong.
After the morning excitement, we headed out to Ocean Park to celebrate. We made our usual stop to see the pandas ...

... then headed to the dolphin show.
Lucy loves seeing the dolphins, but it was right around nap time, so I think she was a little less excited than usual.
She got to wear her brand new Crocs that she picked out.
This is how Sofie enjoyed the show.
After Ocean Park we went home for a rest and then headed to our friends', Mitch and Rebecca's, house for a BBQ dinner. On our way we ran into a sign for this road ... I realize it is a bit inappropriate, but when you are in a foreign country and you see something that reduces your maturity level to that of a kindergartener, it is important to share it with the world.
Sofie and Rebecca enjoying the very posh couch.
"Can we get a couch like this in Eugene, Mom?"
Have a good Monday everyone! We only have 35 more get ups until the plane! Yeah!

14 comments:

kiersten said...

congrats Tracy! It's awesome when things work out like that! :)

Erickson Family said...

So excited for the both of you. Can't wait to see you in Eugene!

Jamie said...

CONGRATS!!! With the way things are going up here (not sure what position Oregon's in these days), you guys are pretty lucky. (I was RIF'ed on Tuesday, so I'm not sure what next year holds for me). Can't wait to see you guys, and can't wait to root for the Cougs against the Ducks!

Kathryn said...

Congratulations on the new jobs! That must be a huge relief and now you can make the best of your Hong Kong days. Have a good trip back!

Kimberly said...

I am so excited for you both--congratulations!! A nice little Saturday for sure. :) Can't wait for you guys to come home.

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news! What are the odds that you would both get hired at the same school!! Things have once again fallen into place for the Muilenburgs:)

Babies are adorable...I love Lucy with her pacifier(s):)

Karen

Marcy said...

Congratulations!

Jessica Baker said...

We can't wait to see you in June and get Lucy and Dylan playing. All I can say about the jobs is..."Wow." I can't believe you pulled it off. Marist is very lucky. :)

Laura said...

Congrats guys!! I can't believe you will be home in (almost) a month! YEAH!!

Becky K. said...

Congrats! That is really exciting news. I think you will love Eugene! My favorite pizza place is there...Track Town Pizza. Best BBQ chicken Pizza ever!!

Anonymous said...

How amazing that you're both hired at the same school! Congratulations. :)

Carolyn

Shannon said...

So awesome guys! Congratulations!!

Kathleen Attridge said...

Fantastic news! Congratulations. I've always wanted to visit Eugene.

Molly said...

Big news! It will be so nice to have you closer and Eugene is such a great city. I really liked it when my parents lived there. College towns are fun (as we know!). Miss you!